I LOVE cold spring rolls!!! My husband does not. I’m not sure who would be called the odd one in this situation but……….no, he’s the odd one.
Anyway, I’ve had fun figuring out my favorite combination of veggies for these. Once in a while I will make them into a lunch by making some rice to eat with it. Make sure to have some kind of yummy dipping sauce on hand! I like sweet chili sauce.
Give them a try, I bet you will be on my side.
- 10-12 spring roll wrappers (I find mine at our local health food stores)
- 2 cups thinly chopped cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots (I’ve bought bagged matchstick carrots before that work perfect too)
- 1/3 cup drained and rinsed black beans (I like the little extra texture that these give)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped green onions
- half of a large cucmber peeled and cut into many 3-4 inch spears
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- small handful cilanto leaves
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger (or fresh, I just didn’t have any on hand)
- Sweet chili dipping sauce (found in asian section of grocery store)
- large bowl with warm water to dip spring roll paper in
Mix, cabbage, carrots, black beans, green onions, cilantro, and ginger in a large bowl.
slice cucumber and avocado. Set aside.
Wet the spring roll paper in bowl until it becomes pliable and place on cutting board or flat surface. Place about 1/2 cup veggie mixture on top of wrapper. Place 2-3 slices each cucumber and avocado on piled veggies, and roll up. I know this seems confusing, and that is why you may want to watch this minute long video that demonstrates the rolling process perfectly HERE. It is done with a cooked filling, but you’ll get the idea.
UPDATE: So, I did ask my hubby WHY exactly he wasn’t a fan of these. He said he didn’t like the cabbage. SO I was thinking that next time would try subbing the cabbage with a small pile of sticky rice, and place just cucmber, carrot, cilantro, and avacodo on top. Hmmmmm, I shall try this soon (aren’t these fun?)…..update later.