This cake was surprisingly good and easy! I needed a chocolate fix and this definitely did the job.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups cocoa powder, divided
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup non dairy milk (I used almond)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
- 1/3 cup non dairy chocolate chips
- 1/2 -1 cup toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease and flour a 9 nine inch round pan
- Mix 1 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl mix together vanilla, 2/3 cup non dairy milk, 1/3 cup oil, and water
- Stir wet ingredients into the flour mixture, and spread into pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool 10- 15 min. and unmold onto a plate.
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan warm remaining cup of sugar, 2/3 cup cocoa, chocolate chips, and 1/4 cup oil
- Pour in remaining 1/3 cup non dairy milk, and cook until smooth. Add a little more milk if icing seems too thick.
- Spread over cake. Sprinkle nuts and enjoy!