My two year old loves mac and cheese. “Mom, I want ronis!!!!” She says (yells). I’ve tried a few vegan versions on her with no avail….. until this one.
Adapted from Cheeky Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons non dairy butter (such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Braggs aminos or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cup unflavored non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour (I’m sure reg flour would work fine too)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2-3/4 cup sliced carrots
- 1/4 orange or red bell pepper
- 1 16 oz. package macaroni, cooked according to package directions then drained
- While your macaroni is cooking, melt butter in a saucepan on medium-high heat and add garlic. Cook for a minute.
- Add in tahini, dijon mustard, and Braggs to saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and non dairy milk
- Whisk the flour mixture into saucepan slowly until the mixture thickens, add in nutritional flakes.
- Pour hot mixture into a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix) Add the carrots and bell pepper. Puree.
- Pour over your cooked noodles. So good.