Every food blog needs a great brownie recipe! This is the best vegan brownie I’ve ever had. Period.
Adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water, whisked
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced almonds, ground into a flour/meal & sifted
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Earth Balance or other non-dairy butter substitute
- 3/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 inch square pan with parchment or foil and grease all sides. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water and set aside.
2. In a blender or processor, process almonds into a meal/flour. Sift out large pieces. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, cocoa, salt, soda).
3. In a large microwave safe bowl, add Earth Balance and melt in microwave for about 30-45 seconds until melted. Stir well and add in flax egg, sugar, vanilla, and milk. Whisk.
4. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir well. If the mixture seems dry, don’t worry. Now fold in the chocolate chips or chunks.
5. Scoop batter into prepared pan and place a piece of parchment on top. Spread with hands or a pastry roller until smooth and even.
6. Bake for 32-34 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out pretty clean) at 350F and allow brownies to cool in pan for about 1.5 hours. DO NOT REMOVE BROWNIES until completely cool or they will crack apart. After an hour or so, gently pull up the brownies on the parchment or foil out of the pan. Cool completely and slice carefully.