I’m half mexican. Meat, or no meat, I’m not giving up my tacos.
I set out to find a great way to make a meatless taco without using those “crumbles”, and here it is:
- 1 cup uncooked rinsed quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans-drained
- 1-2 Tablespoons (or to taste) non-dairy taco seasoning ( if it’s store bought, you might need more)
- 10 good tortillas of your choice (I love, love, love, these the uncooked ones from Costco).
- Salsa of choice ( I made a quick homemade one posted below)
- Guacamole (I also made a quick homemade one posted below)
- Shredded lettuce
- vegan cheddar cheese (such as Daiya) not much, a little goes a long way!
(These measurements are “abouts” I never measure when I make this sorry!) :)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes-seeded and diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- handful fresh cilantro leaves
- juice from 1/2 small lemon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon crushed salt
Mix all ingredients and season to taste!
(The “abouts” measurements also apply here like the salsa!)
- 2 ripe avocados -scooped out and chopped up (I like to leave mine pretty chunky)
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- juice from 1/2 a small lemon
Fold in all ingredients, and season to taste!
Cook quinoa as directed in veggie broth or water ( I used broth). While quinoa is cooking, pour the can of garbanzo beans into a large bowl or on a plate and smash them up. I used a potato masher. Don’t smash them into hummus, just until you have a crumbly texture.
When your quinoa is done cooking, mix in the garbanzo beans and taco seasoning ( 2-3 tablespoons or to taste) with the quinoa in the pan and cover to keep warm.
Chop up your lettuce, get out (or make) your salsa and guac, vegan cheese and any other ingredients you like on tacos! Layer on tortilla and enjoy!